"Volunteers, the heart of healthcare"
2170 South Ave.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Download the Auxiliary Membership Application >>
President, Sandy Killian
Vice President, Lynne McQuitty
Recording Secretary, Linda Coffman
Corresponding Secretary, Victoria Egry
Treasurer, Margaret Anton
About the Auxiliary:
Since 1960, the Barton Memorial Hospital (BMH) Auxiliary has been an active group of volunteers who give generously of their time and talents to support Barton Memorial Hospital, its patients and the community. The auxiliary members assist the hospital in promoting the health and welfare of the community in accordance with objectives established by the BMH Board of Directors.
The volunteers are dedicated citizens who make a difference in our community, with community blood drives, the Health Fair, Lab Draws and Flu Shot clinics as well as numerous other activities. Their support of Barton Hospital is greatly appreciated by the hospital staff, physicians, patients, visitors and community.
The Auxiliary raises and donates funds each year to the hospital through special events, such as the annual: Book Fairs, Fashion Show; Holiday Faire; and Cheese Ball sales. The distribution of these funds is at the hospital’s sole discretion. Larger financial support comes through sales at the Hospital Gift Shop and The Attic Thrift Store.
If you are looking for an activity that offers remarkable rewards and fulfillment, the Barton Memorial Hospital Auxiliary may have the right opportunity for you.
Reasons for Volunteering:
- Stay active during retirement
- Learn new job skills
- Joy in helping others
- Sense of accomplishment
- Share your skills with others
- Meet new people
- Give back to the community
- Accept new challenges
- Explore careers in healthcare
Areas for Volunteering:
- Front Desk – Greeting and directing visitors, assisting with patient discharges and delivering flowers.
- Emergency Room – Volunteers perform concierge duties and assist nurses and techs in their jobs. Requires specific training and OSHA class attendance.
- Gift Shop – Volunteers cashier, stock and provide sales assistance.
- Attic Thrift Store – Volunteers sort, price, provide floor assistance and cashier.
- Blood Pressure Clinics – Volunteer RNs assist in taking blood pressures for the community.
- Health Fairs/Wellness Lab Draws – Volunteers assist with the laboratory draws prior to the health fair and in many other ways on the day of the health fair.
- Skilled Nursing Facility – Volunteers read, visit or play games with residents.
- Blood Drives – Volunteers assist the Sacramento BloodSource on the days of the blood drives.
- Flu Shot Clinics – Volunteers assist with the flu shot Clinics, putting in many hours of assistance during the late Fall months.
- Other Areas As Needed – Volunteers also assist with various projects, such as: stuffing mailers & invitations and helping with Foundation & hospital events.
What is Membership:
Membership in the Auxiliary is open to all persons who are interested in Barton Memorial Hospital and are willing to conform to the Bylaws and Policies of the Auxiliary that have been approved by the Barton Memorial Hospital Board of Directors. All memberships may be renewed annually upon payment of dues.
Types of Membership:
- Active Member – Dues are $15 per year – Active members regularly participate in active service programs of the Auxiliary and serve a minimum of 100 hours yearly.
- Part-time Seasonal Member – Dues are $15 per year – Active seasonal members, serving 50 or more hours yearly.
- Associate Member – Dues are $50 per year – Associate members are interested in the purpose of the Auxiliary and may participate in all events and services of the Auxiliary, but are not required to serve a specific number of hours.
- Life Member – $500 one-time payment – Specific criteria must be met. Contact the president if you have questions regarding life membership.
How to Become an Auxiliary Member:
Complete and submit an Auxiliary Application Form with applicable dues.
Download Form Here (pdf format)
Mail form to:
Attn: Vice President/ Membership
2170 South Ave.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Interview with the Auxiliary Coordination Team.
Receive Board approval and also the Barton Way (Disney guest service program).
Attend an Auxiliary Orientation.
Attend "Confidentiality Segment of General Orientation" for Barton Employees.
Submit to a TB skin test and/or chest x-ray, if desiring to work in the hospital (provided by the hospital without charge).
Have photo taken for ID badge (in the personnel office).
For More Information, call: 530.543.5728, Lynne McQuitty, Vice-President & Membership Chairperson